Last week I had company from out-of-town. Busy weekend running around and getting caught up on everyone’s lives.
One of the kids–who sometimes thinks she’s a doggy named Buddy–had a deep connection with my dog Ziva.
A few hours after company left, I was heading out on the back deck. I wasn’t paying attention and my knee gave out going down the stairs.
I was incredibly lucky that I just banged things up. The worst was a badly bruised foot. My surgery knee was not seriously hurt, thank goodness.
So had to skip a few dog training classes due to inability to walk like a normal person. But my foot is slowly getting better.
Today is National Dog Day. Here is a picture of Ziva working on her tan.
Here’s to enjoying my woofy and staying upright!
August 15th is now touted as
- National Relaxation Day
- National Lemon Meringue Pie Day
And since I am patriotic (and try to celebrate as many “National” days as possible), I felt a call to duty.
I love lemon meringue pie! When I was a kid, I was allowed to pick whatever dessert for my birthday. I always picked lemon meringue pie. Not only did I love it, but many did not. Thus more for me!
And although I am now retired, I must embrace National Relaxation Day too. What better way to relax than with a good book. Currently I am devouring the latest in the Spenser series, Slow Burn.
I have read all 40+ of the Spenser books. Originally by Robert B. Parker, they are now written by Ace Atkins since Parker died in 2010.
Today is also National Cupcake Day and National Failure Day. Apparently I am sort of celebrating a failure since I failed to eat a cupcake. I can only do so much.
My sweet Sunni giving me a hug.
Today is National Lazy Day and I am doing my part to honor the occasion.
First off, I slept in until 9:00. And I only got up because the dog needed to go out and wanted breakfast.
Then, because it was cool, I did a little yard work. There is a large area in my backyard where the grass has died. I think it is due to compacted soil. About a month ago I dug up a small area. Dug down deep, added gypsum, and then grass seed. It worked!!
So today I dug up another small area and did the same thing. The bottom of the photo shows the new grass from the first experiment.
Of course Ziva was assisting since I was supposed to be lazy. Good dog!
In the early afternoon I met my mom for a movie. We enjoyed “Finding Dory.” A quick bite to eat and then back home to work on being lazy again.
Late afternoon nap and it’s time for the Olympics. Although I cut the cord and got rid of cable TV a year ago, I really wanted to watch the Olympics. So I bought an indoor antenna and voila – network TV!!
The day is near its end and I feel as if I have done my part. How about you?
Wowsa – not even noon yet and a few good things have occurred already. Reason enough to celebrate this day.
- Today is National Ice Cream Day! In preparation, I went to the store yesterday to stock up. And I think the store was onboard because ice cream was on sale for $1.99! Such a deal! I bought a mint chocolate with Oreo cookie crumbles and a strawberry creamcheese ice cream with graham cracker crumbles. So I guess you know what I am eating for breakfast, lunch, and dinner today!!
- I was able to take a shower upstairs! Let me explain. Since my knee surgery I could not bend my knee enough to step over the bathtub edge and take a shower. Thank goodness I have a walk-in shower stall in the downstairs bathroom so I could hose off. But today I could step in to and out of the tub. A small, but important victory in knee recovery.
- Dog/cat peace accord reached. Today while I was in the shower, Ziva (the dog) voluntarily waited in her crate. Not hearing any noise, Sunni (the cat) came upstairs and down the hallway to the bathroom. Ziva started walking down the hallway too. And just like that they slowly passed each other without sniffs, snorts, or any aggression. It has been 18 days since Ziva joined the family and I think the cats are getting closer to accepting Ziva. Who couldn’t love this face?
Hope you also find a few things to celebrate the day!
Since I retired six weeks ago, many people have asked How do you like retirement?
I have not been able to describe it because most of that time has been spent recovering from knee surgery. However, here are a few things I have noticed.
- Increase in dirty dishes. Of course, because I now eat all meals at home instead of grabbing breakfast and lunch at work.
- Fewer miles driven in car. This was expected since my work commute was 52 miles round trip. But I didn’t think about the lower gas mileage I am now getting. Little jaunts around town reduce my previous highway driving miles/gallon. Oh well.
- Shopping on weekdays is less crowded and less stressful. Doing errands, such as grocery shopping and banking, is so less crowded on a weekday than right after work or on a weekend. Thus takes less time too.
I am sure more observations will be coming as I settle in to the glory days!