As you may remember, I have been trying to machine embroider some baby onesies. Have not been too successful yet.
Last week I stopped off at the quilting store and showed them my failures. They immediately said my tension was way off. So I came home, spent several hours fiddling with the tension and double-checking everything else. Did I thread the machine correctly? Was the bobbin threaded correctly? Did I have on clean underwear? Ok, that last one had nothing to do with embroidery.
Today I decided to use some very expensive designs I bought several years ago. They were small enough for onesies. Here is my first try.
Can you recognize a little sheep and a bunny? I still had a few bobbin issues, but for the most part, I think it is okay.
Since I had some success with a mini-design, I thought I would try a larger design — just a bit larger — on a baby bib.
Pretty darn cute! My theory of success, besides being Friday the 13th, is that I was using high quality digitized designs instead of designs I was grabbing here and there on the Internet. And of course the tension was the biggest problem. But even after I fixed the tension, some designs still looked crappy.
So although I love many of the designs I found on the Internet, they just don’t stitch out cleanly for small spaces. They are great for larger size designs though.
But that is all the stitching for this week. I broke a needle (tension problems you know). And when I was trying to get the needle out of the bobbin area, it slid into the bobbin mechanism. I believe that warrants a trip to the sewing machine doctor. Hopefully I can do that tomorrow.
Oh — another Friday the 13th success was that I met with a retirement counselor. Things are not as bad as I thought they might be. What a relief! Only 2 years and 1 month to go. Yup, I have started the countdown.