Whew, I just finished the big read, Ken Follett’s Century Trilogy. It took almost 8 weeks to finish all three books. (And I read a small book in the middle of the big read because — well, because. )
Reading the third book, Edge of Eternity, brought back so many memories.
- Cuban missile crisis. I was in grade school and remember the air siren drills.
- Kennedy assassination. Middle school ran the radio over the school intercom. I remember watching live TV news and seeing Lee Harvey Oswald shot. And the sad sad funeral.
- Vietnam. So many high school friends and family served in Vietnam. When would it end?
- Dr. Martin Luther King assassination when I was in high school.
- Bobby Kennedy assassination shortly after that, in June 1968. What was happening?
- President Richard Nixon. Agnew, Watergate, CREEP (committee to re-elect the president), 18 minutes, resignation.
There were many more, but the above list struck home. I wonder what will be the defining memories for my daughter?
Anyway, I highly recommend the Century Trilogy. A good read for the upcoming winter months.