Early evening on Saturday, another severe thunderstorm rolled in. This is the second severe storm in the last 10 days. Here’s a short video of what was happening in the back yard.
And the power went out AGAIN. It came back on this morning as I was contemplating how to get my car out if the garage. Reports were that the power might not be restored until Monday evening.
Her’s a picture taken out front, facing southwest, as the storm approaches.
Here are a few lessons I have learned in the past couple of weeks.
- Keep your phone charged.
- Have a mini-charger available and always keep it fully charged.
- Know where your mini-charger and its cables are located.
- Have flashlights with good batteries available and know where they are located.
- Consider not parking in the garage when a storm is coming. You don’t want to be stranded with your transportation locked up. I am not sure about this one because the car could get damaged from storm debris. And there is always that emergency manual method to open the garage door. However, I am not strong enough to lift or lower the double-wide door.
- When you know the power is going to be out for several hours and you have not yet eaten dinner, go with cold cereal so you can use up your milk before it goes bad.
- Never wait until you are out of clean clothes to do the laundry. The power will go out mid-wash cycle and you are stuck with dirty clothes.
- Always have your Kindle fully charged so you can read in the dark. But if you don’t have a Kindle, be sure to have a paperback and a reading light.
So today I have to toss stuff in the refrigerator because the power was out for about 14 hours. I guess it’s a good thing that I have not been able to do much grocery shopping since last weekend. There is not too much to toss this time, just some milk, eggs, and yogurt.
And I have already have laundry started. Even the load interrupted last night is now complete. I better get cracking as I have work to do! Company is coming tomorrow and I was unable to get stuff done last night, so have to double-up on chores today. ARG!!