Cleaning house physically, emotionally, and mentally.

I was tired of not finding the DVD I wanted to watch. They were stored downstairs, upstairs, and somewhere. I have several duplicates because I couldn’t remember if I had purchased a DVD and since I couldn’t find it, I assumed I didn’t have it.

Thus the birth of the DVD storage project. I found a small DVD holder that I could hang on the wall. Each one holds 28 DVDs. And there is space for 2 multiple DVD sets per each holder.
20140322-223234.jpg

But I didn’t want to screw the holder into the dry wall. And there weren’t enough studs to hang all 10 of the DVD holders.

This is the wall where I plan to hang the DVD holders.
20140322-213117.jpg

I thought of screwing a 1 x 3 inch board into the studs the length of the wall where I plan to hang the holders. I plan to use 2 boards, 1 for the top and 1 for the bottom.

So now that I have a plan, I created a list of steps to follow to complete the project.

Step 1 – Get boards.
I went to Home Depot and a nice young man helped me find appropriate boards. They also cut them to the desired 7 feet 9 inches length.

Step 2 – Prime boards.
I set up a small paint station in the kitchen. I painted each board on the top, sides, and ends. Since the back will be against the wall, I didn’t feel the need to paint it.

Step 3 – Paint Boards.
I thought I should paint the boards the same color as the wall. I found a can of paint. But when I opened it, the sides of the can were rusted and fell into the paint. I tried to pick the rust chunks and flakes out, but was not very successful. I did not want to stir the paint because that would get the rust junk into all of the paint.
20140322-214217.jpg
I decided to gently stir just a small area of the paint and hopefully not introduce more rust flakes. Here are the boards, all painted.
20140322-214825.jpg
After the paint dried, I took the boards downstairs to start marking where they will go. Drat!! I used the paint that was for the hallway. It’s a darker tint, see the boards at the bottom.
20140322-221057.jpg
I searched for the correct paint can. When I found it, the lid was loose and the paint was all dried up. Off to the store to see if I can get some more paint, the exact color. I had the formula so the paint guy mixed up a quart and I was back home painting within an hour.

As you can see, the new paint (on the left), is quite a bit lighter than the first paint I used.
20140322-221802.jpg

Hoping the paint color matches better so I can finish the project tomorrow.

Stay tuned for Part 2.

Advertisements

Comments on: "My DVD Storage Project – Part 1" (3)

  1. […] to the project. To get caught up, see here. After I repainted the boards, the color was a perfect match. Here are the next and final […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: