Words. We are surrounded by words, especially if you are reading this! So let’s partake of a little word trivia.
- I have often heard that orange has no rhyming word. Not true. Orange rhymes with Blorenge, a hill in Wales.
- Here are a few non-rhyming words: wolf, depth, bulb, and oblige.
- How about words without vowels, not even a Y: brrr, hmm, shh, and my favorite, tsktsk.
- The shortest word composed of 5 consonants in a row is angsts.
- Only 2 US states start with 2 consonants: Florida and Rhode Island.
- Alaska is the only US state that can be typed (using a QWERTY keyboard) using only one row of keys.
- Q is the only letter that does not appear in the names of the 50 US states.
- Typewriter can be typed using only the top row of keys on a typewriter.
- Japan’s former capitol, Kyoto, and its current capitol, Tokyo, are anagrams of each other.
- There is no other word that can be made from the word anagram.
- Asthma begins and ends with a vowel, but there are no other vowels in between.
- Strengths is the longest English word with a single vowel. It is also only one syllable.
- A panagram (a sentence using every letter of the alphabet) is pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs.