With Valentine’s Day coming up, let’s look at a bit of trivia about our favorite organ, the heart.
- Mary Shelley, author of Frankenstein, kept her dead husband’s heart (after his death of course) wrapped in silk.
- Intense laughter sends approximately 20% more blood flowing throughout your body.
- The stethoscope was invented by Dr. Rene Laennec. He didn’t think it was appropriate placing his ear on a large-breasted woman to listen to her heart.
- Scientific studies have shown a correlation between the length of a man’s ring finger (left hand) and his probability for a heart attack. The longer the ring finger, the less chance of a heart attack.
- In the 1880’s, Richard Cadbury (yup, that Cadbury) created the first box of chocolates for Valentines Day.
- The average lifetime of blood flow is similar to turning the faucet on all the way and letting it run for 45 years.