I am guessing that only boomers know this one. As I ask around, it seems as if everyone else is oblivious.
One friend who did know what it means suggested that maybe the date was inadvertently changed to 8th of January. That would totally explain the diminished importance of this date.
I have asked my college-aged daughter about it and she didn’t know it either. Guess I should be thankful for that!
It was never about the actual act, but more about the joy of a lovely spring day, hanging with friends and nature.
Horray, Horray for the 8th of May.
Outdoor intercourse starts today.
Heavy sigh…. the good ole days!
And in case you won’t be celebrating, here are a few other May 8th events.
- 1886 Pemberton first sold Coca-Cola as a patent medicine.
- 1912 Paramount Pictures was founded.
- 1945 V-E Day for World War II. Combat ends in Europe.
- 1945 End of the Prague uprising. Now a national holiday in the Czech Republic.
- 1973 End of a 71 day standoff between federal agents and the American Indian Movement at Wounded Knee, South Dakota.
- 1980 The World Health Organization recognizes the eradication of smallpox.
- 1984 The Soviet Union decided to boycott the 1984 Summer Olympics on Los Angeles.
- It’s Parents Day in South Korea.
Enjoy the day however you can!