This post is part of the A-to-Z Challenge.
Or it could be A is for Accepting to participate in the A-to-Z Challenge. Or it could be A is for April Fools, but I already wrote my April Fools post. So I am going to go with A is for Acronyms because I have acronyms on the brains right now.
Acronyms are abbreviations from the first letter or even just part of words. When put together, it must be spoken as a word. Examples include:
- SCUBA for Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus
- RADAR for RAdio Detection And Ranging
- AIDS for Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome
Now that you have the idea, let’s make up new ones!!
- ATOZ (pronounced a-toes) as an acronym for A-to-Z challenge. Wahoo, I’m participating in the ATOZ challenge, starting today.
- SPALALA (pronounced spa-la-la) as an acronym for Single PArent Living A Life Alone. Yes, I am a SPALALA because my only child is living at college, not at home.
- BEPOE (pronounced bee-poe) as an acronym for BEst Pizza On Earth. I’m starving; going to order BEPOE for dinner.
Please do not confuse acronym with initialism, which I will discuss on the I is for… day.